10 Unconventional Vacation Spots You Might Not Have Heard Of
You’ve been told to go to Paris, Amsterdam, and the likes, but hearing of new places to travel to is always refreshing.
1) Ride ATVs through the desert near Muscat, Oman: Oman, often overlooked in the list of popular destinations in the Middle East, is home to the beautiful city of Muscat, as well as beaches, mountains, and miles of incredible deserts. Being able to see many different landscapes in one vacation is always amazing, and being able to ride ATVs through the desert is definitely a major plus to this trip.
2) Visit empty beaches in Corsica, France: Many people stay along the Cote d’Azur, choosing Monaco, Nice, or Marseille as their place to settle on warm sand with a good book. Not too far away is Corsica, just across the Mediterranean but still in France. Nicknamed “La Kalliste” (the most beautiful) by the Greeks, you can imagine the beauty of the island. Sea as blue as it gets, incredible mountains and tons of beaches, you’ll find what you’re looking for in one of the most beautiful places on earth.
3) Drink beers along the Douro River in Portugal: Many people head to Lisbon, but Porto is cheap, warm, and offers tourists a more laid-back atmosphere. The Douro River passes through the city, allowing for people to relax by the beautiful water to watch the sunset.
4) Eat incredible mozzarella in Lucca, Italy: Want to visit the tower of Pisa? Lucca is only a car ride away, and offers beautiful little streets, a chance to stay in the middle of Tuscany, and delicious food options.
5) Take peaceful walks through Auvergne, France: Smack in the middle of the country, Auvergne’s beautiful landscapes, excellent mean and cheese, and beautiful stone houses attracts people from bustling cities like Paris. A great place to relax, drink good wine, and hike through old volcanoes and mountains.
6) Bike through the abandoned airport in Berlin: Pack a picnic, rent a bike, and ride to Tempelhof in Berlin. Beautiful and enormous, with old planes still parked and overgrown grass spilling onto the long runways, you can spend a day in the sun admiring the beauty of an abandoned place.
7) Explore lakes and forests in Quebec, Canada: Canada is gifted with mountains, lakes, and beautiful countryside, and if you find yourself in Montreal, it’s worth a drive through Quebec to do some exploring. Rent a cottage, swim in a lake, and hike through some fields and mountains!
8) Visit Sedona, Arizona: Going to the Grand Canyon? Sedona isn’t too far away, and if you’re into color natural rocks, you won’t be disappointed.
9) Attend the Inti Raymi Festival in Cusco, Peru: Inti Raymi, the yearly Inca Festival of the Sun, is celebrated each year in June, and includes 9 days of parades, live music, and dance, as well as the sacrifice of a lama to the gods. It is an amazing cultural experience in a historical and active city.
10) Hike through Torres del Paine, Chile: Patagonia, a famous region in South America, is often visited by tourists due to the beautiful mountains and worldly famous Perito Moreno Glacier. Crossing over into Chile only takes a few hours, and is a breathtaking experience. If you are able to do the 7-day W trek, you can camp in the mountains and see the most incredible views you’ve ever seen.