20 Must Have Fashion Items for Every College Girl’s Wardrobe
Stay fashionable throughout the school year with these timeless pieces that are essential to have in your college closet.
1. Sunglasses – When you’re walking around campus on a gorgeous sunny day, you’re going to want something to block the sun from your eyes. Chances are, you might even study outside to enjoy the weather so sunglasses are essential to have and carry around at all times. For a pair that you can wear everyday, you can never go wrong with any style of sunglasses from Ray-Ban.
2. LBD – Whether you need a dress for sorority recruitment or a night out with your friends, the little black dress is appropriate for every occasion. Not only does it go with just about everything, but it will never fail to disappoint you.
3. Shorts – Denim shorts, especially ones from Urban Outfitters are a staple item and are great to pair with anything on those hot days.
4. Leggings – During midterms and finals, you’re going to want to dress comfortably. For those long nights at the library, leggings are the best option to stay comfortable when you’re sitting and studying in one place for a while. Zella’s live-in leggings are perfect for any type of weather because they’re reversible so they can suit both hot and cold temperatures.
5. Cardigan – Temperature can be unpredictable, especially inside buildings. Layer your outfit by wearing a long boyfriend cardigan so you can stay warm in classrooms and at the library. Madewell is a great place to look for the perfect cardigan because it has a great selection of cute ones that will help you stay warm and comfortable and you can use your student ID to get a discount on your purchase.
6. Flats – Whether you’re going shopping with your friends or going to class, you can always rely on ballet flats to make your outfit look chic. One of my favorite pair of black flats are the Tory Burch ‘Reva’ flats, but for more comfortable pairs, I prefer ones from J. Crew and Repetto.
7. Sneakers – Converse are especially versatile because you can wear them to class or on the weekends when you’re hanging out with your friends. Even though they may get dirty, white Converse look clean cut so you can create an effortless yet sophisticated look with them.
8. Neutral sandals – When it’s warm out, it’s imperative to have a pair of neutral sandals because you can wear them with maxi dresses, shorts, skirts, and rolled up jeans. Even though there are many styles and colors of sandals, you can’t go wrong with a pair of neutral sandals. To find a comfortable pair, look into Sam Edelman for a wide variety of styles.
9. Pumps – Just like the LBD, black pumps are essential to have because they’re versatile and can go with any outfit for any occasion.
10. Crop top – Crop tops are perfect for going out because you can pair them with anything and they’re easy to mix and match with bottoms to create different outfits. For warmer nights, you can wear them with different pairs of shorts or skirts and for colder nights, you can throw on a nice pair of high-waisted jeans.
11. Print shorts – Print shorts are so versatile because you can wear them during the day or at night and with different patterns, you can choose the look you’re going for. Urban Outfitters, Zara, and Topshop all have a variety of patterns that range from classy to flirty to trendy that will instantly spice up your look.
12. Ankle boots – A great pair of ankle boots is the perfect item to give your outfit that extra edge. Even though I’m a fan of riding boots, ankle boots are more convenient to wear because they’re much easier to move around in. Since there are so many styles of ankle boots, such as motorcycle, suede, and chelsea, find a pair that suits your personal style!
13. Blazer – A black blazer will particularly come in handy in college when you have to give a formal presentation or go through an interview. However, a blazer isn’t just for work because you can wear it over a plain white T-shirt and jeans to create a dressier everyday look.
14. Wedges – Wedges are great because they’re somewhere in between pumps and sandals. Not to mention, they are much easier to walk around in for larger amounts of time than pumps. Wedges are perfect for those casual occasions when you want to add more height.
15. Plain white T-shirt – You can either keep it casual and simple with a plain white T-shirt when you’re going to class or you can pair it with a statement necklace if you want to dress up your look. To perfect an effortlessly cool look, find a plain white tee that is slouchy and ends right at your hip.
16. Scarf – When it’s cool outside, add some color to your outfit by adding a silk scarf and when it gets colder, bundle up with a more chunky knit or cashmere scarf to stay warm.
17. Skinny jeans – Skinny jeans are a good way to create the illusion of longer and slimmer legs. When finding the perfect pair of skinny jeans try to stick with a true blue wash that will go with everything and look for a stretchy pair to stay comfortable all day.
18. Jacket – There are so many different styles of jackets, but it is essential to indulge in at least one nice and tailored jacket. My absolute favorite is Burberry’s ‘Copford’ Quilted Jacket because it goes with everything and gives all of my outfits a more elegant look.
19. Tote – A black Longchamp tote is extremely versatile because it goes with everything, won’t get dirty, and it’s waterproof. A spacious tote that can hold a lot of things like a Longchamp is especially practical in college when you have to carry a laptop, some notebooks, and books around campus.
20. Riding boots – For the colder months, there’s nothing else that will keep you warm and still cute like a nice pair of Tory Burch riding boots. These boots are a great investment to make because they are timeless and can make any outfit cute.