35 Fun Travel Tips for Every Student in London
Live like a local in London with these travel tips.
1. The tube system is a very easy way to get around the city. Carry a Tube map with you at all times to take full advantage of this transportation system (or use CityMapper.com or the City Mapper app!).
2. The tube closes at 12:15, but most buses run 24/7.
3. The best pubs are hidden – don’t worry, you’ll be able to find the authentic ones. Try the Alsop Arms just off Baker Street Station.
4. November 5th – Bonfire night or Guy Fawkes Night – is a huge holiday in London. This holiday commemorates the night that King James survived an attack on his life and the plotted blowing up of the House of Lords.
5. The Harry Potter Platform 9 3/4 is at King’s Cross Station and pictures are free!
6. Plays on the West End are a great weeknight out for College Students. Look for cheap tickets on YPlanapp.com
7. Always ask about Student Discounts –they’re not always listed, but often available.
8. Soho and Piccadilly Circus are the places to go to if you are hungry late at night.
9. To satisfy your inner international foodie, go to Camden Markets. Feel free to barter with the shop owners; it’s a fun thing to try at least once.
10. Rent a bike on the street from Santander for £2 for 24 hours –it’s a fun way to discover the city!
11. The gym is expensive so walk the city as your own personal gym. If a gym is absolutely necessary, ask for a student discount or find one through your school.
12. Always look left before right when crossing the street. It’s hard to remember as this is a habit learned since childhood.
13. London Eye is a ‘must-do’ (even though it is kind of expensive).
14. It’s expensive in London so make sure you save as much as you can before you arrive. Have a budget but don’t be surprised if you go over your limits. The Mint App is super helpful.
15. Take part in a pub crawl at least once during your time in London. (My favorite: camdenpubcrawl.com)
16. It is normal to grab a beer at 4pm on a Tuesday. (Embrace the culture, right?)
17. Traditional English breakfast always includes baked beans; just let it happen.
18. Big Ben is the bell inside the tower – not the tower itself.
19. Take a tour of Westminster Abbey– you will be able to walk exactly where William and Kate walked when they got married! (Plus, student discount)
20. Grab three other friends and do the famous strut on Abbey Road (get there via the St John’s Wood tube station on the Jubilee Line).
21. On a sunny day, take a seat at the top of Primrose Hill. From this viewpoint, you will be able to see the entire city. Just don’t forget to dress warmly – it’s windy up there.
22. Read a book in one of the Queen’s Parks, also a relaxing way to do homework or people watch.
23. Visit the Prime Meridian in Greenwich and take a photo with a foot in each hemisphere.
24. Visit the Borough Markets – one of the largest and oldest markets in London. It’s even more of a foodies heaven than Camden Markets.
25. Locals tip: The street names are listed on the buildings rather than on posts on the street corners.
26. Oxford Street is like the shopping mecca of central London. Check out what’s going on here.
27. Tesco and Sainsbury Supermarkets are the places to go for a quick, cheap snack.
28. Football (soccer) is very popular in London! Choose a team, get your colors and get to a game.
29. If you can’t make it to a live football game, spend the afternoon with your friends in a pub watching the game and cheering loudly with everyone else.
30. Take a walk on the Tower Bridge – it is a breath-taking sight to see at night or during the day.
31. The police do not carry guns and are extremely friendly; if you ever need help finding a place, ask them.
32. Visiting any of the stadiums in London and on the outskirts is extremely worth it (especially Wimbledon).
33. Pay the amount to go to the top of the Shard –the view is worth every penny and it is the tallest building in Western Europe.
34. Silent Discos are a very European thing and very worth it.
- Pigeons are everywhere but do not feed them! They will attack you or poop on you (believe me, it will happen).