6 Tips for the Best Staycation Ever
Don’t dis it before you try it, it might be your best vacation ever.
Ahh summer vacation. For most college-aged kids, it’s the best time of year: No homework, no 8 a.m. classes and pretty much no responsibilities (for the most part). However, for a lot of those college-aged kids, summer vacation is spent living in their parents house trying to juggle a job, internship and somewhat of a social life before moving back to school. Among all this craziness, it’s hard to find the time (and money!) to plan and go on a kick a** summer vacation. Luckily, there is a simple solution to this problem, take a staycation! A staycation allows you all the relaxation of a real vacation, but at literally a fraction of the cost.
If you’re one of these people that just can’t find the time or funds for a real summer vacation, follow these six tips for a relaxing and rejuvenating staycation.
1. Unplug. One of the biggest blessings of a vacation is that you get to unplug from the drama and nonsense of the world and spend quality time with the people that you love most. Put your phone on “do not disturb” (or better yet, put it off and away!) so you don’t have to think about every stupid cat fight or celebrity rumor that surfaces. You’ll get the time to completely unwind and enjoy life, technology free.
2. Take time off work. Even if you don’t have an actual vacation planned, you should still request time off to celebrate your staycation. All internships site and jobs offer employees an allotted amount of time off for summer vacation, so even if your vacation plans involve staying home and binge watching Netflix, it’s still a vacation and it deserves just as much time off as a trip to Mexico.
3. Indulge. When is the last time you went to your favorite hometown restaurant and ordered your favorite dish even though you knew it was way overpriced? Yeah, it’s probably been a while. So go to that restaurant and order your favorite meal and a cocktail (or two). Your taste buds will thank you.
4. Go on an adventure. Just because you’re having a staycation doesn’t mean you have to stay in your house all day. Grab some friends and head to a concert or hit up some new happy hour spots downtown. If you’re feeling extra spontaneous, take a day trip! Visit you local zoo or drive down to the nearest beach.
5. Get outside. Go outside and enjoy the warm summer weather (this is especially important if you work 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. in an office every week). Use this break to get some fresh air and do some exploring. Find a new hiking trail, go out on a boat, or go for a bike ride. The great outdoors has endless possibilities when it comes to summer fun.
6. Just Relax. No matter how many plans you make for your staycation, make sure you make a plan to just relax, a time where you have nothing to do and no where to be. Read a book, lounge by the pool or, my personal favorite, lay in bed and binge watch Netflix all day. This will help you forget all the stresses that are waiting for you at work next week and you’ll just feel completely relaxed, honestly, its pretty amazing.
So don’t be bummed if you wind up not being able to schedule a vacation this summer; use it as an opportunity to rediscover your hometown, you might just be surprised at all the cool things and places that you discover. Plus, think about all the money you’ll be saving on travel and housing! You’re staycation may just end up being your best vacation ever.