Weekend Warrior: Costa Rica
What to bring, see and do for a seamless weekend in this Caribbean paradise.
If you’re looking for the perfect combination of relaxation and adventure in a destination, look no further than Costa Rica. Last March, I traveled to Playa Hermosa for a spring break getaway. A year later, I’m still dreaming about the black sand beaches and breathtaking sunsets. If you’re thinking about experiencing this Caribbean island for yourself, this all-in-one guide is for you!
Traveled from: Ft. Lauderdale to Costa Rica
Arrived by: Spirit Airlines
Stayed at: Sandpiper Inn— Highly recommended!
Visited: Playa Hermosa and Jaco
What to bring:
1. Sun dress— Something easy to throw on over a bathing suit and wear into the evening without getting too hot. Like these.
2. Beach bag— I usually bring a linen Free People shopping bag as it hardly takes up any room in my suitcase.
3. Sunglasses— For obvious reasons, you’re going to need these.
4. Bathing suit— Pack at least one! You’ll be living in it all weekend.
5. Sunscreen— The UV rays are extremely strong in Costa. Don’t forget to reapply frequently! Love this one from Neutrogena
6. Wet brush—This brush can tackle even the worst ocean-induced tangles.
7. Sandals— The black sand in Playa Hermosa is scorching hot during the daytime! You’ll want to wear these until you hit the water.
8. Sneakers— There are tons of great hiking trails in Costa Rica. Bring these to make sure you’re comfortable.
9. Athletic shirt— I brought a couple of American Apparel racerback tanks to wear while I hiked and during my zip-lining excursion.
10. Athletic shorts— Pair these with the athletic shirt and sneakers for your outdoor adventures.
Surfing— Costa Rica is one of the best surf spots in the world! But while Playa Hermosa is a surfer’s paradise, it’s not ideal for beginners. I rode my first waves in Jaco, which is much calmer. Carton is a great place to rent boards at a fair price!
Zip-lining— An adrenaline rush in Costa Rica isn’t too tough to find. Zip lining is available all over the island, and the views of the water are incredible.
Trits icecream sandwich—This Costa Rican treat consists of a vanilla ice cream between two graham cracker sugar cookies with a drizzle of chocolate sauce. It’s truly the best ice cream concoction I’ve ever had! You can find them at almost any convenience store on the island. Tip: There is a button of the bottom used to pop the sandwich out of its container with ease.
Graffiti Restro Café— In downtown Jaco, just a quick drive from Playa Hermosa, is a restaurant called Graffiti. It’s a bit pricier than other spots in town, but it’s worth the splurge. The seafood dishes are absolutely incredible and the presentation is even better.
Watch the sunset every night— Costa Rica sunsets are hands down the most beautiful I’ve ever laid eyes on. Make yourself comfortable and enjoy.