Weekend Warriors: New York City
Making the Most of My Time in the City of My Dreams
I’ve been dreaming about visiting New York City ever since I could remember, and this April my mom took me there as a pre-exam treat! It was an amazing few nights of exploration, sightseeing, eating and catching shows.
Travelled from Halifax, Nova Scotia by Delta Airlines
Stayed at: Hotel Belleclaire
Visited: New York City
My mom had previously visited the city with my older sister, so we went back to the hotel they stayed at – the Hotel Belleclaire! It’s a beautiful boutique hotel in the heart of the Upper West Side, with a location that makes it so easy to take the subway anywhere you want to go. I’m a notorious overpacker, so on this trip I tried to pack the essentials while still making sure I’d look fashionable in the city of my dreams.
1. I didn’t have much downtime to read, but we took a break from our whirlwind tour one day to sit and read in Central Park. Nothing felt better than reading one of my favourite inspirational books, The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, in the gorgeous oasis of Central Park!
2. New York City sparked my imagination and helped me dream bigger dreams, so I took my favourite notebook to jot down any inspiration that happened to come to me.
3. You really have to prepare for all weather in NYC, but sunglasses are a must for blocking the glare of the bright sun off the skyscrapers. They’re also a must to fit in with all the socialites wandering town!
4. With so much to pack into your time in NYC, it’s so important to have a watch if your phone dies – which it probably will! My favourite Michael Kors watch adds a touch of glamour to any outfit while being very practical.
5. I don’t wear much makeup when I travel, but wanted to be able to glam up for a fancy dinner or a night on Broadway. My Urban Decay Naked 2 palette has every neutral colour you could ever want!
6. New York can be very hot in the day and cool off majorly at night, so I carried my favourite denim shirt from H&M everywhere. It goes with almost everything, and it’s definitely one of the most useful things I took.
7. My black floppy hat was a must for cool street style – looking good is a must in the fashion capital of the USA.
8. If you’re looking to stay comfortable but look good, I can’t recommend maxi skirts enough! This blue floaty skirt from Forever 21 served me well.
9. Another item that’s key for mixing style with comfort is a romper. I got mine from from Forever 21. It was perfect to wear out to a Broadway show – just throw a blazer on and you’re set!
10. My Rebecca Minkoff Mini Mac holds just enough for a day in the city, and the cross-body strap leave your hands free for shopping….definitely key.