You Know You’re a Study Abroad Student in Germany When…
When you first touch down in Germany you’ll be so excited to start your study abroad experience, you may not notice all these little differences. Once you get settled and look around though, you’ll be saying, “Wait, what?!” These ten things will bring you right down Deutschland memory lane!
1. You just can’t figure out why no one is crossing the street!
2. You realize everyone is very quiet. There’s no casual chatter between strangers, and you soon realize in language class that “How are you?” is in fact a very personal question.
3. You hear the locals talk about how the “South” is vastly different from the “North”. Which is a hard concept for you to grasp when Germany is about the size of your home state.
4. You wonder if you can start making steins a mainstream thing back in the states.
5. You feel so accomplished for ordering morning bread and coffee in German!
6. Everyone wants your super informed American opinion on politics, and they’ll give theirs right back to you!
7. Sauerkraut, white sausages, and pretzel sandwiches?! They’re everywhere and you will eventually cave and try the white sausage.
8. You will just smile and nod as chain-smokers go off again and again about how there is a serious obesity problem and in states.
9. The clothing is mostly black and dark red, green, and blue. You stick out like a sore thumb with that bright shirt!
10. Just forget the heels or any shoes with no grip! That cobblestone is an obstacle in itself!